Sunday, July 18, 2010

Searching for the Right Kindergarten

Currently, I enrolled both of my kids, 2+ and 4 years old in a montessory based kindergarten. My girl previously was in "Peter and Jane" which I found was very good but due to distance, I need to look for one nearby in Bandar Utama and I also which it could emphasis more on Mandarin.

I actually survey 3 kindergarten inclusive this. The other 2 kindergarten actually applied the "multiple intellegence". As according to them, the children these days are more intelligent and demanding than our time. One is the "REAL kids" and an independent kindergarten. One principal told me that montessory is too old-fashioned! I heard from a colleague about her second son in "Smart Reader" in BU6 which is much less academic than REAL kids for her first son. However, the REAL kids at BU7 has been closed down a few months back. Last November, I went there with a colleague, the staffs there are dissappoiting and the so-called principle did not even entertain us, just let the teachers which appeared quite young to bring us around! And also, I worried by 4 years old become too academic based.

But what make me decide on this kindergarten is the principle saying that this so-called old fashion montessory based kindergarten actually lets the children to explore on their own and thus, allowing them to build their self-confidence which I find lacking in my children. "If they are confident, they will be able to cope with whatever environment given to them". Luckily this kindergarten of mine has additional mandarin reading class which I think is very beneficial. My girl can write simple chinese which I can't.

Lately, I found out about "fungates" which are really popular among Malaysians as it was started by Malaysian and a survey through the nets showed that a lot of parents are satisfied as they prepared their kids to go to Chinese primary school and they emphasis a lot on Mandarin, so that the kids will not get cultural shock in their primary 1. Comparing my 4 years old daughter in montessory and my 4 years old niece in a fungates kindergarten, my daughter is more carefree, no homework and no exams! Imagine, term tests for a 4 years old! However, the method of teaching like giving encouragement, selecting a "star" student in each month makes it sound impressive and what's more, this kindergarten has their blog which is very good for communication or announcement to the parent.

But should my daugther get more academic based kindergarten when she turns 5? I intend to survey more about these, perhaps for the next academic years. For the time being, I can't find any fungates kindergarten in Bandar Utama, the nearest is at Mutiara Damansara which I intend to pay a visit soon. I believe all mums turns to dilemma about this and I really hope my blog will provide a platform for sharing about kindergarten searching for parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment